"… an evocative, breathless, compellingly written view of this epic journey, among the greatest escape sagas of them all.”
- William Gilkerson, award-winning author of Pirate’s Passage –
"A powerful, impressive book ... a breath-taking account of a haunting and inspiring journey of spiritual and physical courage. From Lion's Jaws left me transfixed on many levels with its lucid portrayals of courage and perseverance, of three hundred Tibetan refugees on a life or death escape over towering mid-winter snow-capped mountains …"
- Rudy Wurlitzer, screenwriter and novelist: Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, Little Buddha, Slow Fade and The Drop Edge of Yonder, among many other works -
“A wonderful read. Apart from the extraordinary story, so rich and layered, of Chögyam Trungpa’s early life at the Surmang monastery, and of the incredible trek against astounding odds – parts of the journey were unbearable even to read – there is the vast and austere landscape, the history, the politics.
From Lion ‘s Jaws should find very many readers, and will be hugely beneficial. It is a moving and beautiful tour de force.”
– Jane Rosenthal, award-winning literary critic, Mail & Guardian.
In 1959 Chogyam Trungpa, a 19-year-old lama, led 300 refugees on a desperate nine-month escape from Tibet. Fleeing Communist troops, they headed out on a mind-stopping trek across the world’s harshest and most spectacular landscape, going where humans had never been. In midwinter, in appalling weather, they sometimes had to cross towering mountains in the dark of night.
From Lion’s Jaws: Chögyam Trungpa’s Epic Escape to the West tells the story of one of history’s greatest journeys. It is a riveting epic of adventure, courage and resilience - a story of heart-rending compassion and humour, of struggle and magic, and a spiritual saga and potent source of inspiration for our own life journeys.
Following the route, seeing the harsh and splendid landscape the refugees faced, greatly enhances the story. From the following pages you can --
- Download HD copies of Chögyam Trungpa’s hand-drawn maps.
- Download Google Earth paths and placemarks, to follow the route, see the terrain in 3D.
- View galleries of the people and the landscape they trekked through.
The site also offers --
- An article on how the route was discovered,
- An overview of the escape's place in history,
- A link to a video of the story.
From Lion's Jaws is also available from Amazon in Canada, France, Germany, and the UK.
Available in soft cover and Kindle versions.