"… an evocative, breathless, compellingly written view of this epic journey, among the greatest escape sagas of them all.”
- William Gilkerson, award-winning author of Pirate’s Passage –
"A powerful, impressive book ... a breath-taking account of a haunting and inspiring journey of spiritual and physical courage ... left me transfixed on many levels …"
- Rudy Wurlitzer, screenwriter and novelist: Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, Little Buddha, etc.
“A wonderful read ... an extraordinary story, so rich and layered, From Lion's Jaws is a moving and beautiful tour de force.”
– Jane Rosenthal, award-winning literary critic, Mail & Guardian.
In 1959 Chögyam Trungpa, a 19-year-old lama, led 300 refugees on a desperate nine-month escape from Tibet. Fleeing Communist troops, they headed out on a mind-stopping trek across the world’s harshest and most spectacular landscape, going where humans had never been. In midwinter, in appalling weather, they sometimes had to cross towering mountains in the dark of night.
From Lion’s Jaws: Chögyam Trungpa’s Epic Escape to the West tells the story of one of history’s greatest journeys. It is a riveting epic of adventure, courage and resilience - and also a story of heart-rending compassion and humour, of struggle and magic ... a spiritual saga which is potent source of inspiration for our own life journeys.
Tracking the route, seeing the harsh and splendid landscape the refugees faced, greatly enhances the story. On the following pages are --
- HD copies of Chögyam Trungpa’s hand-drawn maps.
- Google Earth paths and placemarks, to follow the route, see the terrain in 3D.
- Galleries of the people and the landscape they trekked through.
Also on the site --
- An article on how the route was discovered,
- An overview of the escape's place in history,
- A link to a video of the story.
From Lion's Jaws is also available from Amazon in Canada, France, Germany, and the UK.
In paperback and Kindle versions.